Below you'll find picture and descriptions of the Honour Roll Boards referenced within this database.
Glen Eira Honour Roll Boards
The Glen Eira Honour Roll Boards are located at the Glen Eira Town Hall on the corner of Hawthorn and Glen Eira Roads. It comprises 31 individual panels, representing 1554 men and women from the council area who served. This board is unique because it also includes the names of those who returned amongst them being 4 VC Recipients and many Nurses.
Caulfield Park Memorial
The memorial at Caulfield Park was unveiled in April 1931. This Memorial is a metal plaque which originally marked the North Road Avenue of Honour which no longer exists. The plaque lists the names of the fallen from Caulfield. The Avenue of Honour on North and Nepean Roads was a joint collaboration between the Brighton and Caulfield Councils to commemorate those who had served in World War One. The final planting in North Road took place on Anzac Day 1919. In the 1960s, the avenue was removed due to road widening .
McKinnon Memorial Garden & Obelisk
The McKinnon Memorial Garden and Obelisk is located in McKinnon Road, [near the corner of Wheatley Rd] McKinnon. The large granite obelisk is dedicated to those residents who served in the First World War. A plaque was added in memory of those who fell in the Second World War, Malaya, Korea, Vietnam and Borneo.
Bentleigh Hodgson Reserve
Bentleigh Hodgson Reserve, memorial garden The Memorial Drinking Fountain was unveiled on 25 July 1920. The design includes a marble scroll listing the names of those who served in the First World War. A bronze plaque was added later and includes the dates of the Second World War, Malay, Vietnam and Borneo conflicts.
St Mary's Church - Caulfield
St Mary’s Church is situated at 281 Glen Eira Rd, Caulfield North.The Honour Roll Board is located on the wall on the left hand side as you enter the church. This Honour Roll Board is of members of the congregation who served in the First World War. It not only lists those who were killed but those who returned.
Hawthorn Road Methodist Church
The Church was located on the corner of Pyne Street and Hawthorn Road. The Church was demolished.
The White Shield is to be found in the Chapel at the Caulfield South Community House at 450 Kooyong Rd, South Caulfield. [as at January 2021 the Chapel is being renovated and should be complete after Easter].
Carnegie Methodist Church
The Church became a gallery around 2011. The congregation moved to the Koornang Uniting church at 117 Murrumbeena Road and apparently the honour board went with them. The Honour board then came to Glen Eira Historical Society from Koornang Uniting Church in 2014. The church there is now called Murrumbeena Uniting.
This Honour Roll Board can be found at the Glen Eira Historical Society
Murrumbeena Methodist Church
The Church was first located on the corner of Dandenong & Belgrave Roads, in December 1928 it was moved when the brick church was built in Murrumbeena Road and it became the church hall. The church hall was destroyed by fire and the brick church was demolished and replace by what is now the Murrumbeena Uniting Church.
We are trying to find out why there is a photo of Bernard George Haines included with the list of names.